Now that the PhD has been submitted I feel like I’m at a bit of a loose end. All of the time I previously spent working – reading, writing, planning (or avoiding work) is now just time to be filled by something else. There is no three (ish) year old project that I can use to fill the time, so actually, I’m not really sure what to do now! I have offered to help out friends, to read their chapters, to complete questionnaires, I have spoken at seminars (an drunk the free wine) and started to read around my next project but it just doesn’t feel the same. I suppose it’s kind of like empty nest syndrome.
Here are some vaguely PhD related things I may consider doing now the actual PhD work is over
- Return the library books I have had out for he past three (or so) years
- Finally file all of the notes I have taken in various archives/from various books
- Sort out all of the pictures I have taken from archives visits, condense all of my files of archive pictures and put the printed versions into the right folder
- Finally work out exactly where THAT reference came from, rather than just hope that the answer I put down is ‘pretty much right’
- Update the blog more often!
If I’m honest, I will probably just binge watch various series on Netflix and then maybe spend hours playing the Sims or similar. But it just isn’t the same when I’m not putting of PhD work!